If you feel like your wardrobe is far some “summer-ready” don’t despair (particularly as it’s far from summer weather we’ve been having!) We usually recommend giving your wardrobe an overhaul twice a year at the start of each season, this helps keep your style fresh and up-to-date and prevents the clutter from getting out of hand. Our top 10 tips will help you organize your wardrobe and revitalize your style.
Here are The Art of Style’s Top 10 Wardrobe Tips:
- Clear out: Energize your wardrobe by decluttering. If you don’t wear it, if you don’t love it, or if it doesn’t flatter you, get rid of it! Anything worn should also go or be replaced.
- Keep it seasonal: Storing out of season clothes away from your main wardrobe will mean you can really see what you have and what you may need to buy.
- Fit is everything: We don’t all have perfect proportions, so getting items altered to fit can make all the difference in style and comfort.
- Invest in “key” pieces: Everyone needs quality basics they can rely on- they should go with almost anything, take you from season to season and be timeless. Buy the best quality you can afford, quality items last longer and cost you less in the long run. Such items might be great jeans, well-cut blazer, white shirt etc.
- Be bold with accessories: Style is the expression of a person’s personality through their appearance and accessories are a really great way to inject your personal flair and add pizazz! The clever use of accessories will allow you to get a lot more mileage from the clothes you have (without anyone realizing).
- Less is more: Excuse the cliché, but it’s so true…think of the chic Parisienne lady with a breeze blowing through her wardrobe (as the rumour goes!). At the end of the day, it’s far better to have five great pieces, than ten items which are only ok!
- Balance colour with neutrals: As a general rule neutrals should make up about 50% of your wardrobe (just to be clear, neutrals are black, white, brown, navy, beige, grey and cream!)
- Hang as much as possible: It makes it easier to see what you have with out rummaging through drawers. Delicate knits should of course be folded.
- Don’t forget the foundations: Getting your underwear right is so important to your finished look, you may need to invest a little here.
- Create a shopping list: Whenever you notice a “gap” in your wardrobe write down the item you need. Keep the list with you when out shopping to avoid random purchases and impulse buys. Let your style icon be you!